Information for GPs in Manchester
Information for GPs

Information for GPs in Manchester, Salford and Trafford


Eye problems such as:

  • • Red or painful eye or eyelids
    • Recently occurring flashes and floaters
    • Recent and sudden loss of vision
    • Foreign body in the eye

should be referred to one of the CUES accredited optometry practices. Advise the patient is to contact one of the CUES registered practices to arrange a consultation. This may initially be a telemed consultation. Note this is not a walk in service.

Practice Search Vist the PES website for more information

Routine Referrals

If there are concerns or questions about routine optometry referrals then please contact the referring optometrists who will be happy to help.

More information about specific referral pathways is available on the dedicated pages:

Learn More Manchester Referrals

Learn More Salford Referrals

Learn More Trafford Referrals

Macular Degeneration

Wet AMD is an urgent condition. Optometrists in the area should be referring directly to the WetAMD service. If you received a standard referral for this condition, you should send it urgently to the Emergency Macula Service (EMAC) at MREH as follows:


Tel: 0161 701 3419
Fax: 0161 701 0262

Cataract Referrals

All cataracts referrals should be directed through the enhanced service pathway to ensure that the patient is counselled on the risks and benefits, meets the referral criteria and requires and wants surgery. If a referral is sent to you from an optometrist out of the area, please send the patient to one of the accredited optometrists with a copy of the referral letter.

A list of practices is available here:

Learn More Find a Practice

Patient Information

There are various patient information leaflets about eye conditions available here:

Learn More Information-Leaflets-and-Publications

Your own patients

If you have a patient experiencing vision problems not of acute onset; if for example you suspect dry macular degeneration or headaches due to eyestrain, the patient may just need a sight test and the hospital eye service does not provide this. It is best to send these patients for a sight test with a community optometrist. This may be private or NHS depending on their age and circumstances. If they are eligible for NHS sight tests a doctor can send them for one even if they are not due for a test under the normal rules governing sight test intervals. The optometrist will write to you if they need further referral. The NHS will pay for a sight test for the following groups of patients:

  • Under 16, or aged 16,17 or 18 and in full time education
  • Aged 60 or over
  • Diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
  • Considered to be at risk of glaucoma by an ophthalmologist
  • Aged 40 or over and have an immediate relative with glaucoma
  • Registered blind or partially sighted
  • Eligible for an NHS Complex Lens Voucher
  • Claiming certain benefits
  • On a low income and named on a valid HC2 or HC3 certificate